- About HMCPL
- All hours and locations
- Disaster Plan
- Library Board
- Media and Press
- Atrium Art Gallery
- Blind & Physically Handicapped Library
- Community Partners
- Computer Training Center
- Heritage Room (Genealogy)
- Interlibrary Loans
- Meeting Rooms
- Patron Request Form
- Playaway View
- Public Computers
- Speakers Bureau
- Wireless access (Wi-Fi)
- Online Resources
- All online resources
- Automotive databases
- Book-related databases
- Business databases
- Career databases
- Catalogs of local interest
- Digital downloads databases
- Encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Genealogy databases
- Grants and fund-raising databases
- Health databases
- History databases
- Homework references
- Journal and article databases
- Literature and authors databases
- Local Interest databases
- Portals to multiple databases
- Spanish-language databases
- Alabama Virtual Library
- Community Info
- Digital Archives
- Digital Downloads
- Got a Question? Ask Us!
- Homework Alabama
- Huntsville History Collection
- Learning Express
- Next Reads
- Research Guides
- Read with Us
- Programs & Classes
- Library-sponsored Events
- Book Clubs
- Author Chat Book Club
- Bailey Cove Young Adult Book Club
- Book vs Movie
- Booked for Lunch
- Coffee Cake and Conversation
- Cupid's Café
- Eleanor Murphy Book Club
- Eleanor Murphy ForeverYA Book Club
- Elementary Series Book Club
- Gurley Girls
- Inspirational Book Club
- Knit 1, Read Too!
- Knitting Between the Lines
- Literary Giants
- Lovers of Lit
- Lunch and Love Book Club
- Madison Murder, Ink.
- Must Read Middle School
- Russell Readers
- RocketCityMom.com Book Club
- Saved by the Bell Jar
- Sister 2 Sister / Brother 2 Brother Book Club
- Tillman Hill Adult Book Club
- Time Out Book Club
- Urban Circle Book Club
- X Factor Book Club
- Community Events calendar
- Computer Classes
- Story Times calendar
- Mind your Money
- Connect With Us
Welcome to the Huntsville Heritage Room! We are a multi-media resource center for research in genealogy and regional history.
We have one of the finest genealogy collections in the region. We focus on states east of the Mississippi River and include computer-based resources, as well as print and microform collections. However, we also have materials on other regions of the U.S. and helpful resources for locating relatives from overseas.
Just getting started? Our staff is ready to share tips on finding your ancestors, even if you’ve never tried before.
Are you a seasoned researcher? Let us show you our resources, in a number of formats.
Our reading room is a pleasant workspace, with most of our stacks readily accessible to the public. However, all of our materials are Reference resources and cannot be checked out or removed from the Heritage Room.
Have questions? Please call us at (256) 532-5969 or email us at hhrdept [at] hmcpl [dot] org — we’re always happy to help!
Search our obituary index!
We're building an index of all obituaries published in local papers. Visit obits.hmcpl.org to search our index and purchase print copies of obituaries for a nominal fee. An extra bonus: we're cross-referencing obituaries with interment sites, so if you find an interment site of interest, you can view a list of other people buried there, and perhaps find additional people you didn't know you needed to look for!
Print and Microform Collections
Our print and microform collections include (but are not limited to):
- Family history materials. Books, family files and periodicals
- Huntsville and Madison County History. Available in books, microfilm, local newspaper clippings, descriptive brochures, and biographical data.
- State and county records. Including histories, abstracts of marriages, cemetery records, wills, deeds, court minutes, and church and vital records. Print and microform.
- Newspapers. Local editions on microform, and other editions from colonial period to current.
- Periodicals. Over 500 journals and newsletters, with indexing for most. The collection includes complete runs of numerous genealogical journals.
- Genealogy collections. In microform, including the McCubbins (North Carolina) and Turner (Delaware) Collections; the WPA Index of South Carolina Cemeteries; Massachusetts town vital records to 1850; the South Carolina COM Index; and the papers of Leonardo Andrea (South Carolina).
- ScanPro 800. Thanks to a grant from the Alabama Public Library Service through the Library Services and Technology Act, we have a ScanPro 800, which is a microform machine that processes microfilm and microfiche copies built for public use applications.
- Historical collections. Including:
- The Draper Papers
- The Printed Archives of Pennsylvania
- South Carolina Low-Country Church Records
- American State Papers
- Mississippi Territory Records
- The Legislative Acts of Alabama
- Military records. Available for colonial, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War and Indian Wars.
- Passenger lists. Available for arrivals to the United States from numerous countries.
- Federal records. Including:
- The American State Papers
- The New American State Papers: Indian Affairs
- The Territorial Papers of the United States
- Journals of the Continental Congress (and Indexes)
- Guide to the Federal Records of the Archives of the United States
Genealogy search help!
Visit the Bones Collector Resource Page for any easy place to search
- Bureau of Land Management Patent Search
- WorldConnect (RootsWeb)
Our online help
Check our Research Guide to see our holdings in the Heritage Room, tips for beginners, and resources of local interest.
Our newest resource
Huntsville History Collection (HHC) is a virtual archive of resources about the history and historic architecture of Huntsville and Madison County, Alabama, and is now part of the Heritage Room.
Have more questions?
Need more help? Contact the Heritage Room at (256) 532-5969 or hhrdept [at] hmcpl [dot] org
Access Revolutionary War records, Bounty-Land warrants, PERSI, family and local histories, as well as Federal census records from 1790-1930 for clues and answers to family history puzzles.
Online genealogy resources
|Title||How to access this resource||Library card required?||Part of AVL?|
|Ancestry Library Edition||
At a library branch? Access ancestry.com here.
|Fold3 (formerly Footnote)||
Available in our library branches without a library card. Access outside library locations requires logging in with your library card number and PIN, then following the "Fold3" link on the My Account page.
|HMCPL Obituary Index||
|Huntsville History Collection||
Available to everyone.
|New England Ancestors||
At a library branch? Access it here.
|World Vital Records||
Available in our library branches without a library card. Access outside library locations requires logging in with your library card number and PIN, then following the "World Vital Records" link on the My Account page.