Need an interesting and informative speaker for your organization, club or group?
The Huntsville/Madison County Public Library maintains a Speakers Bureau ready to inform and educate your members about the many programs and services offered by the Library.
Our staff is prepared to speak on the following topics:
- One City, One Book. Since 2002 the Library has sponsored annual community-wide reads of popular literary works. Thousands of Huntsvillians have participated in our reads which have featured a fascinating lineup of speakers and programs. We’ll talk about the history of community wide read and provide information on how you or your organization can participate in our next event.
- How to Start, Lead, Attend, and Enjoy a Library Book Group. The library has over a dozen book groups on a wide variety of subjects. Find out about them, how to sign-up or how to partner with the Library to start a new one.
- Get a Job: Career and Job Resources at the Library. Job hunting in today’s job market can challenging for people re-entering the workforce. A Library speaker can provide an informative overview of what career and job hunting resources are available at the Library.
- Making the Grade: Homework Help at the Library. Find out how the Library can provide great online homework help for your student from elementary school to college.
- Getting the Most Out of the Library’s Reference Department. An overview of the resources and services offered by the Reference & Adult Services Department. Our wide variety of services for individuals and groups may surprise you.
- A Resource for Everyone: The Alabama Virtual Library. Since 2000 Alabama citizens have access to one of the great online sources in the nation. Find out more about the Alabama Virtual Library.
- Hidden Treasures at the Library. We provide a variety of services and programs that might just amaze you. A library speaker will explore some of the library’s best kept secrets.
- The Living Life in Huntsville Series. Our archivist is prepared to do a series of great talks with photos on a variety of Huntsville historic topics:
Antebellum Huntsville: This presentation combines photographs, stories, portraits, advertisements and memoirs to explore pre-Civil War Huntsville.
Living in an Occupied City: Huntsville During the Civil War: This program details Huntsville’s occupation during the Civil War through letters, journals, broadsides, newspapers and more.
Huntsville 1909: this presentation takes you to the city of Huntsville circa 1909 to explore everyday life, politics and culture through historic photographs from the Library’s Archive collection.
- The People Behind the Portraits of Maria Howard Weeden. Our archivist explores the life and works of this important Huntsville artist.
- Why Johnny Won’t Read: the Challenges of Literacy for Boys. Our Youth Services Librarian examines the fundamental causes of male reading difficulty and explores how to remedy the situation.
- What’s It Like to Be A (Book Lovin’, Stereotype Breaking, Extreme, Rockstar, Super Smart, Party Throwin’, Fun) Librarian! With humor, our Youth Services Librarian examines for youth and teens what the day-to-day life of a librarian is really like including the education needed to be a librarian and some of the rules librarians abide by.
- A Resource for the Community: the Huntsville Heritage Room. The Heritage Room is a major resource for local history and genealogical research for North Alabama. Find out more about this fascinating department.
- The Ghosts of Huntsville’s Past. A look at ghost stores that have persisted in Huntsville’s lore and legends for many years.
- Huntsville and the Great Locomotive Chase. This famous Civil War episode has been often written about and even spawned a popular Disney movie. Find out about Huntsville’s little-known role in this exciting event.
Call David Lilly at (256)532-5975 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a Library speaker.
Please make your requests at least one week before the scheduled event. Although we will attempt to supply speakers on a shorter notice, we cannot guarantee someone in these situations.