Need an interesting and informative speaker for your organization, club or group? The Huntsville/Madison County Public Library maintains a Speakers Bureau ready to inform and educate your members about the many programs and services offered by the Library.
Our staff is prepared to speak on the following topics:
1) One City, One Book. Since 2002 the Library has sponsored annual community-wide reads of popular literary works. Thousands of Huntsvillians have participated in our reads which have featured a fascinating lineup of speakers and programs. We’ll talk about the history of community wide read and provide information on how you or your organization can participate in our next event.
2) How to Start, Lead, Attend, and Enjoy a Library Book Group. The library has over a dozen book groups on a wide variety of subjects. Find out about them, how to sign-up or how to partner with the Library to start a new one.
3) Get a Job: Career and Job Resources at the Library. Job hunting in today’s job market can challenging for people re-entering the workforce. A Library speaker can provide an informative overview of what career and job hunting resources are available at the Library.
4) Making the Grade: Homework Help at the Library. Find out how the Library can provide great online homework help for your student from elementary school to college.
5) Getting the Most Out of the Library’s Reference Department. An overview of the resources and services offered by the Reference & Adult Services Department. Our wide variety of services for individuals and groups may surprise you.
6) A Resource for Everyone: The Alabama Virtual Library. Since 2000 Alabama citizens have access to one of the great online sources in the nation. Find out more about the Alabama Virtual Library.
7) Hidden Treasures at the Library. We provide a variety of services and programs that might just amaze you. A library speaker will explore some of the library’s best kept secrets.
8) The Living Life in Huntsville Series. Our archivist is prepared to do a series of great talks with photos on a variety of Huntsville historic topics:
Antebellum Huntsville: This presentation combines photographs, stories, portraits, advertisements and memoirs to explore pre-Civil War Huntsville.
Living in an Occupied City: Huntsville During the Civil War: This program details Huntsville’s occupation during the Civil War through letters, journals, broadsides, newspapers and more.
Huntsville 1909: this presentation takes you to the city of Huntsville circa 1909 to explore everyday life, politics and culture through historic photographs from the Library’s Archive collection.
9) The People Behind the Portraits of Maria Howard Weeden. Our archivist explores the life and works of this important Huntsville artist.
10) Why Johnny Won’t Read: the Challenges of Literacy for Boys. Our Youth Services Librarian examines the fundamental causes of male reading difficulty and explores how to remedy the situation.
11) What’s It Like to Be A (Book Lovin’, Stereotype Breaking, Extreme, Rockstar, Super Smart, Party Throwin’, Fun) Librarian! With humor, our Youth Services Librarian examines for youth and teens what the day-to-day life of a librarian is really like including the education needed to be a librarian and some of the rules librarians abide by.
12) A Resource for the Community: the Huntsville Heritage Room. The Heritage Room is a major resource for local history and genealogical research for North Alabama. Find out more about this fascinating department.
13) The Ghosts of Huntsville’s Past. A look at ghost stores that have persisted in Huntsville’s lore and legends for many years.
14) Huntsville and the Great Locomotive Chase. This famous Civil War episode has been often written about and even spawned a popular Disney movie. Find out about Huntsville’s little-known role in this exciting event.
Call David Lilly at (256)532-5975 or email gdlilly [at] hmcpl [dot] org to schedule a Library speaker.
Please make your requests at least one week before the scheduled event. Although we will attempt to supply speakers on a shorter notice, we cannot guarantee someone in these situations.