Effective July 7 at 5:00 p.m., you must wear a mask to enter one of our library locations. If you are unable to wear a mask, we are offering curbside and online services as an accommodation, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
If a person with a disability is not able to wear a face mask, state and local government agencies and private businesses must consider reasonable modifications to a face mask policy so that the person with the disability can participate in, or benefit from, the programs offered or goods and services that are provided. A reasonable modification means changing policies, practices, and procedures, if needed, to provide goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations to an individual with a disability. It is important to focus on how to provide goods or services to a customer with a disability in an equal manner. This can be done by reasonably modifying your policies, practices, or procedures. The requirement to modify a policy, practice, or procedure does not include individuals without disabilities, as they are not protected under the ADA.
Dear Library Patrons,
We are happy to be able to serve you during this difficult time. We are open to the public but our hours remain limited. Curbside will continue. Please visit our curbside page for details.
Effective June 15, Phase Three of our reopening plan will go into effect:
- Your items will be automatically renewed up to four times, unless there is a hold on the item. Hotspots are not renewed automatically.
- Restructuring environment to make it as safe as possible for both staff and patrons, to include limited contact check outs and cleaning equipment between use.
- Gathering spaces remain closed.
- Grab bags will be available through curbside only.
- Public computers available on a first come, first served basis but will be limited to two hours. We are also be limiting the number of computers available so patrons will be six feet apart.
- Patrons are required to wear masks, per the current health order.
- Sanitation and quarantine of materials will continue.
- The 50 item check out limit will continue.
- We are still not hosting on-site programs and meetings at this time.
Please note: The Downtown Friends of the Library Bookstore is open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 12:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m.
About our safety practices:
- All employees will be equipped with PPE (personal protective equipment), including plexiglass shields at the customer service desks.
- All employees will use hand sanitizers and practice frequent hand washing.
- Daily temperature checks will be conducted before each work day.
About the safety of the materials:
- Upon check-in, outer material covers and bindings will be sanitized.
- Before materials are allowed to be checked out, they will be quarantined between users for at least 24 hours.
- Because of this, wait times may be longer and your items will not be checked in right away.
Please visit our locations page for current hours of operation.
Digital Resources available:
e-books via our Digital Media Zone
Homework Alabama via tutor.com (and they have expanded their tutoring hours)
Learning Express- test preparation
e-books with Freading
Music with Freegal
List of electronic resources from Alabama Public Library Service
DOGOnews has fun articles for kids on current events, science, sports, and more! There are lots of stories, pictures, videos, quizzes, vocab games and you can listen to the stories in either English or Spanish. Read more about it here. To access DOGO, click here.
For a complete list of youth resources, visit our Youth Services page.