Friends of the Library
Friends of the Library (FOL) is a national organization devoted to supporting local libraries. In Madison County we promote the interests of the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library (HMCPL) and its related libraries in community activities and in funding. Join the Friends at http://store.hmcpl.org/friends/join, or stop by any branch and fill out a membership card.
It's Fun To Be A Friend
Enjoy these perks:
- The company of books and book lovers
- The library newsletter, Cover to Cover, containing library news and services
- Two members-only 50-percent-off sales in June and October.
- 3-week checkouts for books
- 2-week checkouts for DVDs
- Membership dues fund programs and equipment at HMCPL libraries.
The Friends Of The Library Bookstore
The Bookstore is the Friends' primary source of funding. Operated entirely by volunteers, all revenue goes to the library. The Bookstore is located left of the entrance foyer at the Main Library
- Books of all kinds, including reference and foreign language.
- Audio visuals, including movies (DVD and VHS), books-on-tape, music (CDs and vintage records), video games.
- Magazines and comics.
Imagine clearing your home of the things that take up needed space. Donate your gently used items and reclaim that space!
Volunteers Roll Up Their Sleeves
Inquire at the Bookstore or establish your interest in volunteering by phoning the Bookstore at 256-532-5986 (You must be a Friends member to work in the Bookstore.)
Friends of the Library 25-Cent Book Sales occur twice a year in the Downtown Huntsville Library auditorium. Thousands of books of all kinds are sold at 25 cents each. The public is invited to the Friends' 25-Cent Book Sales.
Friends of the Library Members-Only Book Sales occur twice a year in the Friends of the Library Bookstore, just inside the entrance of the Downtown Huntsville Library. At these sales everything in the bookstore is sold at 50% off for Friends of the Library members only.
Here are dates for 2015 book sales:
- June 13, Saturday, Members-Only Blooming Book Sale, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Friends' Bookstore, Downtown Huntsville Library
- August 8, Saturday, FOL 25-Cent Sale, 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m., Downtown Huntsville Library auditorium
- October 17, Saturday, Members-Only Falling Leaves Book Sale, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Friends' Bookstore, Downtown Huntsville Library.
Hertha Heller Forums
The three forums are held each year on the fourth Sunday of January, February and March at two o'clock in the Downtown Huntsville Library auditorium. They are free, and the public is invited.
- March 22 – “School Spirits: Ghost Stories from Alabama’s Campuses” will be presented by Dr. Alan Brown. Dr. Brown earned his B.A. in English at Millikin University, his M.A. in American literature at Southern Illinois University, and his Ph.D. in rhetoric at Illinois State University.
Friends of the Library groups
|Bailey Cove||2nd Monday|
|Hazel Green||Call 256-828-9529 for meeting times.|
|New Hope||3rd Monday|
|Oscar Mason||Call 256-535-2249 for meeting times|
|Russell||Call 256-859-9050 for meeting times|