Meeting, conference, and study rooms within the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library are made available for the enrichment of the educational, recreational and cultural lives of our community.
Individual adults, groups, or organizations are invited to reserve our rooms provided they abide by these policies and the Library Code of Conduct. Library members may create room reservations on a first-come, first-served basis in our online system. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Rooms may not be booked more than six (6) months in advance.
- No more than six (6) reservations may be held at one time.
- Rooms will be held for thirty (30) minutes after the reservation start-time and then will be released for use by other customers.
- Rooms are only available for reservation during regular hours.
- Some rooms are available for up to two (2) hours per day.
- Some rooms require pre-approval prior to use.
- Meetings must end and rooms must be empty fifteen minutes prior to closing.
- Permission to meet in the Library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of a group’s policies or beliefs.
- Use of the Library logo in announcements or fliers must be pre-approved.
- No tape or adhesive of any kind may be used on the walls, windows or furniture.
- No open flames under any circumstances.
- Monetized events and room set-ups may be available in some rooms for a fee.
- There is a $25 minimum fee for any damage caused to rooms, damages exceeding $25 will be billed at cost.
- The Library reserves the right to enforce fire codes, Americans with Disabilities Act compliance, noise limitations or any other rule approved by the Library Board. Fire codes establish maximum capacity for each room. Groups are responsible for ensuring attendance at meetings does not exceed capacity or prohibit accessibility. Exceeding capacity, disregarding ADA or noise complaints can cause the room to be forfeited.
- Seven (7) day cancellation notice required. In unforeseen emergencies in which the Library has to cancel a meeting, the Library will attempt to give the group as much notice as possible.
- Individuals or organizations found to have misrepresented themselves or their use of Library space will be barred from further use.
Rooms may not be reserved or used for the following unless sponsored or co-sponsored by the Library:
- Performing arts groups (including conducting open call interviews, auditions or rehearsals).
- Graduations (including pre-k).
Rooms may not be reserved or used for the following unless fees are paid:
- Soliciting, sales, charging admission, ticketed events, asking for donations, or paid services (including tutoring or insurance seminars).
Fee-based options are available at several locations of the Library, though each location varies. See the schedule at https://hmcpl.org/reserve/optionalcharges and then communicate your needs by emailing email@example.com. Fees will be added to the Library account reserving the room and payment should be made prior to use. Any equipment needed during the reservation will be checked out to the Library account reserving the room and, if lost, will be charged to that account.
Political campaign events for one candidate or candidates of one political party may not be held at the Library. Any campaign event held at the Library must extend invitations to all the candidates qualifying for an election. The Library must be given proof that all candidates were extended an invitation for the event.
Storage space and porter services are not available, nor can Library staff deliver messages to attendees. The Library assumes no responsibility for personal injuries, thefts, damages, or losses of private property while using the Library rooms.
The Library Director may authorize exceptions from specific regulations and fees of this policy for HMCPL and its programs, for the Friends of the Huntsville-Madison County Public Library, for state, local or federal governments, or for any organizations which holds an MOU or MOA. The Library Board reserves the right to amend any room regulations without prior notice.
Submitting a reservation implies consent to these policies.
Library Board approved: 5/19/21